ALGESAL BAUME® cream
IDENTIFICATION OF THE MEDICINAL PRODUCT:
Composition: Per 100 g of cream:
Salicylic acid: .6.54 g
Excipient: light liquid paraffin, ethylene glycol monostearate, stearic acid, vaseline,
microcrystalline wax, glycerol monostearate, trolamine, lavender composition*, purified water.
'Ingredients of lavender composition: essential oil of whole lavender, essential oil and
fractions of essential oil of Chinese eucalyptus, linalol, linalyl acetate, racemic camphor.
Pharmaceutical form: Cream. Tube of 40 g or 100 g.
Pharmaco-therapeutic class: Analgesic (M: LOCOMOTOR SYSTEM).
WHEN SHOULD THIS MEDICINE BE USED (THERAPEUTIC INDICATIONS):
Aid to the local treatment of muscular and tendino-ligamentous pains.
When should this medicine not be used (Contra-Indications):
This medicine MUST NOT BE USED in the following cases:
-Allergy to salicylates, to a related medicine (NSAI, aspirin) or any of the other ingredients.
Do not apply to mucous membranes, to the eyes, to open, weeping or infected wounds or
under an occlusive dressing.
This medicine must not be used in the following cases, because of the presence of terpenic
derivatives in the formula:
- infants under the age of 30 months,
- children with a history of convulsions due to fever or not.
for advice. In case of doubt, it is essential to ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
This product contains terpenic derivatives which, at excessive doses, can induce neurological
accidents such as convulsions in infants and children. Use strictly as directed:
-never apply more than the prescribed dose (see 'Dosage'),
-do not apply to a large area of the body,
comply with the recommended frequency and duration of treatment.
Precautions for use:
- This medicine is reserved for adults and children above 7 years old.
- After use, it is necessary to wash your hands to prevent accidental contact between the cream and the eyes or mucous membranes.
- Ask your physician for advice in the case of past or recent epilepsy.
- In case of doubt, do not hesitate to ask your doctor or your pharmacist for advice.
Drug interactions and other types of interactions:
In order to avoid any interaction between several medicines, you must systematically inform
your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other treatment.
As a general rule, always ask your doctor or your pharmacist for advice before taking any
medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
It is preferable not to use this drug while breastfeeding and it should never be applied to the
HOW TO USE THIS MEDICINE?
Dosage: RESERVED TO ADULTS AND CHILDREN ABOVE 7 YEARS OLD.
Apply topically by massaging into the painful area, 2 to 3 times per day, until the cream has
completely penetrated the skin. Wash hands after use.
Method and route of administration: Cutaneous route.
Treatment duration: Do not use for prolonged periods without medical advice.
UNDESIRABLE AND UNPLEASANT EFFECTS (ADVERSE EFFECTS):
As with any active substance, this medicine may in some people cause more or less
unpleasant effects: possible local allergic reactions requiring treatment discontinuation
Because of the presence of terpenic derivatives as excipients and when the recommended
doses are not respected:
-risk of convulsions in infants and children,
-the possibility of agitation and confusion in elderly subjects.
Do not hesitate to ask your doctor or your pharmacist for advice and report any undesirable
or unpleasant effect not mentioned in this leaflet.
HINTS FOR MASSAGE :
Massage is a complement to medical treatment and anyone can learn how to do it.
For the massage, use a cream or balm in order to avoid skin irritations. Do not massage sores or bruises until they have healed completely.
NECK AND NAPE OF THE NECK :
1. Massage lightly from top to bottom of the neck with your thumbs.
2. Massage each side of the cervical vertebra in the direction of the shoulders,
supporting the back muscles with your forefingers.
SHOULDER GIRDLE :
3. Start at the base of the neck and, using both hands, massage the shoulder
blades from top to bottom.
4. Massage with one thumb behind the other in order to make the massage
more effective through better penetration of the balm.
BACK MUSCLES :
5. Massage with both thumbs from the hips to the shoulders in circular
movements, Start with the backbone and then massage all the back muscles.
6. Massage the paravertebral muscles from side to side with one thumb behind
7. Start the massage at the level of the pectoral muscles, pushing outwards
with your thumb in circular movements towards the shoulder.
8. Lightly massage with the thumb from the elbow towards the arm and from
the elbow towards the forearm in small circular movements.